Saturday, November 20, 2010

Christmas Carols, Code Blues, and Craziness!

Sad day at the hospital today.  There have been so many "Code Blue's" called today (heart or respiratory stopping). And they just called a second stroke alert for a patient.  It's actually the second one they've called for that patient today.  A mommy lost her baby this morning.  I have had 4 death discharges come down today.  And I called one patient earlier this morning, the son answered and I asked if he would like to go over his father's menus for the next day, and he told me "Sorry Ma'am, he just passed away." Oh my gosh.  You're sorry? I'M sorry!  I absolutely HATE it when that happens!  It makes me SO frustrated at the nurses upstairs who don't bother to change their diet or let us know.  That conversation happens WAY too often! 

There is a little girl up in Peds right now who is SO picky!  I thought I was picky, but oh my!  She is in complete charge of her parents and even her doctor.  She has just been told she has diabetes and she won't eat anything but chicken strips, fries and milkshakes.  She is a stubborn little thing and apparently has gotten quite physical about it, lashing around.  She is three.  I am so thankful for my children.  My sweet, adorable, well-behaved (in public) children. 

Our patient count has been SO high lately!  There are so may people in for pneumonia!  I guess it's that "season" again.  It's amazing the difference in seasons and what it does to the hospital's patient count and reasons for why they are here.  In summer, it's a lot of mommies giving birth and a lot of dehydration and broken bones (in younger people).  In winter, it's pneumonia, broken bones (in older people-from falls), less mommies, and more overall deaths.  And the week of Christmas?  It seems like that's the time when most little kids are in the hospital.  Few others seem to get sick, get hurt or schedule surgery during the holidays. 

Hmmm..... it's interesting when you look at the stats.  Well, speaking of Code Blues, they are calling another one.  Outside of my office door, people are running up the stairs to respond.  I have been so crazy busy all day, but the last hour or so it has quieted down a lot.  Thankfully.  I was finally able to get caught up and get all my patients called.  I am left with only 3.  One is sleeping, another is a new mom who just delivered (I like to give them a couple of hours before I bother them.  Menu choices seem like the last thing a new mom is worried about when she has a beautiful little bundle in her arms to adore), and the other patient's phone has been busy all day.  Thinking it's off the hook.  I should probably run up there and see if it's on purpose or accidental.....

Anyway, sorry for the random blog, I just feel bad for these people today.  And here in the kitchen, we are laughing away, singing Christmas carols and swapping Thanksgiving Day plans and Black Friday shopping routes.  I love the holidays, but hate what winter brings to the hospital. Hope you are all enjoying your weekend and giving thanks to our GOOD God for your health!  And praying for those who are not as fortunate.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment