Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happy May Day!

Happy May Day!!

So I told Shawn this morning as I turned the calendar page "It's May Day!" Then I said, "So do I get flowers today...?" (knowing my answer, I turned and gave him a playful smile....)  He said, "what do you mean?  Why?  What's May Day?  You're just making it up."  haha.  I told him what May Day is and the traditions of leaving flowers (whether paper or real) on the doorstep, ringing the doorbell, then running away before they can see who left them.  We would always do this as a kid.  Sometimes they would be paper flowers (or some other form of crafty fake flowers...), sometimes they would be flowers we picked from the garden, or sometimes they would be actual flowers that our dad bought for us to leave on the doorstep for our mom.  I do recall the tradition slowly fading though, as we my older brother and I got into high school.  I vaguely remember my younger brothers doing it after I left for college, and now, I am almost sure that the doorstep at my mom's house will be empty today. 

I googled the traditions of May Day and found just what I was hoping I wouldn't.  The traditions have faded and many youth no longer even know what May Day is.  Sadness.  This was another great way to do something nice for random people (when we lived in an actual neighborhood growing up (for the few months we did..... otherwise it was the country with only a couple of "neighbors" down their own long dirt roads....), we would also leave flowers on the doorstep of neighbor's homes.  We would also sometimes drive to our grandma's house and perform the ritual there as well.  But this interaction with our neighbors as stopped.  Do you know who your neighbors are?  Do you know their weekend plans, their kids' names, their occupations, their faith values?  We usually know what kind of car they drive, what day they typically mow their lawn, what time they leave in the morning for work, and occasionally we will get a glimpse into their garages to see how tidy they are...... haha.  But that's usually the extent of it. 

Last Saturday, for Easter, we brought all our surrounding neighbors Easter treats, much like we  have before in our previous neighborhood.  Except these neighbors were surprised.  Shocked really, that their neighbors were bringing them a treat?!?!?!  haha

So today, may you find someone to bless.  Whether it be with paper flowers, or fresh picked from your garden with a ribbon around them..... It will mean a lot.  But don't let the tradition of May Day die.  As much as a fan I am (not) of flowers, I love this day!!  And I can't till I can make paper flowers with the girls, make little bouquets and put them in Strawberry baskets to leave on neighbor's porches....!!

Happy May Day!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment